Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day Eleven, Bass-ackwards....

Well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  When I make plans, God is somewhere, chuckling up a storm.  I had all this good intent (yeah, I know the saying) of getting up at 6:30am and getting on the treadmill for my Aerobics Solution workout.  But then Andrew woke up in the night, sniffling, coughing, and pretty dang pitiful.  He had been such a handful (hellion) at school on Wednesday that I actually told him, "I hope you're getting sick, because if this is a new phase you're in, one of us isn't going to make it."  Well, there you go...it's like I'm sort of psychic. 

I went in when he woke up crying and we slept together in his room, but a two-year old kicking and tossing all night, complete with little sniffles and sad sounds, didn't make for a great night's sleep.  I surrendered to the inevitable and turned off the alarm clock in my bedroom so that we could get some sleep together.  The day went fairly ok, except I am now getting that lump in my throat that tells me I am coming down with the funk, too.  Ah, cold and flu season is coming...are you ready?  Would it be considered ironic that I bought vitamins last night, and took my first one today, only to find that I'm getting a cold?  I think it is.

My eating was off today.  I didn't eat anything I wasn't supposed to, but I am very surprised that I didn't take the time last night to plan my menu for today.  I am usually all over that, and I completely forgot.  Guess that means I'm human.  I had planned five out of my six meals for the day, and ended up only eating four meals today after all.  I ate a very tasty breakfast of a fried egg (done in olive oil) over a single piece of unbuttered whole wheat toast, with a plumcot (plum + apricot = plumcot = delicious).  That little entree, with a piece of fruit, is fast becoming one of my most favorite breakfasts.  I think a great twist on that would be to do Egg Beaters on toast with a bit of salsa on top.  I'll have to try it and report back to you. 

I took Andrew through a drive-thru for lunch today, and didn't feel tempted to order anything for myself.  That felt like a mini-triumph, although it was in part because I couldn't smell anything.  Lunch was fine, with a salad of iceberg lettuce and some green pepper and carrot.  A couple sticks of low-fat string cheese to go with it (about 2 ounces total). And then I fell asleep when Andrew went to bed.  And I slept...past the magic window of time I was supposed to eat in (ideally I'm supposed to eat every two to three hours).  When I woke up, it was 4:30pm, and I just went ahead and made dinner.  Dinner was pretty dang good, actually.  A very lean steak, baked sweet potato, and more salad.  I finished up my day with an Odwalla bar at 7:45pm and some water.  I just didn't get all those dang meals in, but I guess it could be worse.

The other thing is, I haven't done my Aerobics Solution today.  It is bugging me, but I feel very tired and I just can't imagine going to the little gym here and getting on the treadmill right now.  I know I should, I know this is bugging me to have not gone, but I also know I'm probably not going to make it today.  So what should I do instead?  Hmmm....I'm not big on punishing myself for a missed workout, and beating myself up about it sure isn't going to solve anything, but I should maybe do something to make up for it.  Perhaps I will not only workout on Saturday, but I will find time on either Saturday or Sunday to swim at the Y, replacing those lost 20 minutes with something else.  I'll sleep on it and see what comes to me.  Sometimes my solution percolates through my brain when I'm in REM (yeah, that's what I tell myself!).

I plan to work out even if I have the funk tomorrow, though.  I enjoy the weight lifting more than I thought I would, which surprises me.  In Body-for-LIFE, you are forewarned that life isn't going to stand still just because you're in the middle of a twelve-week body transformation period.  You're not going to skip out on life while you're working so hard, it's going to keep on happening all around you.  You are warned of speedbumps, of arguments with your spouse, sickness, falling down the stairs, muscle injuries, and on and on.  Part of this program is to teach me to put my self-care as a priority.  Life will always be happening, and if I am going to wait for a lull in the day-to-day business of being alive so that I can finally get in shape, well, that won't happen until someone's standing over me, giving a eulogy.  It's all about making the time and realizing my worth as a person.  That I am worth spending time and energy on to make myself feel better and look better, be stronger and more physically fit, and healthy too.  I missed it today, and I am sorry for that, because I deserve it, and I'm beginning to realize that.  I will do it tomorrow, though, dang it.  I will see you then!

1 comment:

  1. Here's a workout I do once a week to mix things up. Start walking on the treadmill at a comfortable pace and every minute, move the incline up by 1. You will not change the speed the entire workout (unless you want/need to). My teadmill goes up to 15, so by 15 minutes, I'm walking at the highest incline, huffing and puffing and sweating like a PIG. Once you go up, then you go down by 1 every minute, so the workout takes a little over 30 minutes. As you go down and get to around 4 or 5 incline, you'll almost feel like your walking downhill and will maybe even want to walk faster by ncresing your speed. I like it because it's a different and engaging workout. Good luck! Sounds like you're doing great so far. I might even go out and buy some lentils today.

    ReplyDelete